Di’s Tomato basil sauce
A great way to use all those extra tomatoes from your garden before they disintegrate on the kitchen bench or at the bottom of the fridge! This is a very tasty sauce with only a few ingredients. Serve over your favourite pasta or with a juicy steak. Add fresh chopped birds eye chilli during the cooking process if you like a bit of a kick.
Preparation time: 20 minutes Cooking time: about 2 hours
1½ kilos ripe tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and diced
¾ cup fresh basil, chopped
I large onion, diced very finely
3 cloves garlic, crushed
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy based pot and saute onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the prepared tomatoes and ½ cup basil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, uncovered, on medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
- Add sugar to the sauce, if using. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and continue cooking for 1½ hours or until sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove lid or partially cover if sauce has not thickened enough and continue cooking to desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Stir through the remaining chopped basil just before serving.
- No need to peel and deseed tomatoes if you don’t have the extra time this takes.
- This sauce is great left chunky. If you prefer a smoother sauce feel free to blitz it.