Di’s Rock cakes
Everyone knows rock cakes are so yesterday, but maybe there’s something about them still… These rockies have been razzed up a little with cranberries and orange zest. Suitable for dunking as well.
Makes about 20
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup raw sugar
- 100g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- ½ cup sultanas
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup low fat milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and cinnamon together in a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar.
- Rub chopped butter into the flour mixture with the fingertips until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sultanas, cranberries and grated orange rind then make a well in the centre of the mixture.
- Pour milk and beaten egg into the well. Mix with a spatula until a sticky dough forms. Add a little more milk if necessary for desired consistency.
- Place heaped tablespoons of mixture onto prepared oven sheets, allowing room for expansion.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden on top. Remove from oven and stand for 5 minutes before placing on wire rack to cool.