Di’s Oven-baked mushroom and leek risotto with chorizo and baby spinach
This is a much easier way to make risotto – none of that standing around adding stock little by little and stirring continuously!
Serves 4 or more
- 5-6 cups good quality vegetable stock (preferably home-made)
- 60g butter
- 500g mixed mushrooms, sliced (any combination tastes great)
- 1 large leek, washed and trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 spicy Spanish chorizo, diced (or 2 if you like)
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced. Pour stock into a saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and leave to simmer gently until required.
- In a large flameproof dish melt half the butter and add the sliced mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes or until browned well. Remove mushrooms from heat and set aside in a bowl.
- Add a little of the remaining butter to the pan and cook chorizo for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp. Remove from heat and set aside with the mushrooms. Wipe out the pan with paper towel to remove any fat.
- Return pan to medium heat, melt the remaining butter and add leek and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add rice. Cook, stirring, until rice is fully coated. Add wine and bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, until liquid has almost evaporated. Stir in stock, mushrooms and chorizo.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid or closely-wrapped foil. Place in oven and bake, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove lid or foil and bake for a further 5 minutes or until liquid has absorbed and rice is tender. Check seasoning, adding salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Stir through baby spinach leaves and cheese. Serve with extra grated parmesan if desired.