A wonderful combination of favourite vegetables, this dish is delicious as a meal in itself served warm with crunchy bread, or as a side for your favourite cut of meat. Also tastes great the next day straight out of the fridge.
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 red capsicum, seeded, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, seeded, chopped
- 1 large eggplant, chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- 100g button mushrooms, quartered
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped (peeled and seeded if you like)
- ½ cup tomato purée
- 2 strips lemon rind
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- ½ bunch basil for garnish, leaves torn
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 birds eye chilli, finely sliced (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil to medium/low heat in a large frypan. Sauté the onion, garlic and capsicum until tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the frypan, return to the heat and sauté eggplant for about 5-6 minutes or until tender, adding a little more oil if needed. Transfer to bowl with other cooked vegetables.
- Add remaining oil to the frypan and sauté zucchini until tender. Remove from heat.
- Combine all the cooked vegetables in a large heavy-based pot. Add the chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, lemon rind, thyme and tomato purée. Add a good amount of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 1-1½ hours or until all vegetables are very tender and the flavours are combined. Add the finely sliced chilli (if using) in the last 15 minutes of cooking. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Add the torn basil and remove from the heat.
The flavours will develop further if left in the fridge overnight. Enjoy!