Di’s Stuffed mushrooms
Large flat mushrooms are so much tastier and more versatile than those little things. They provide a fantastic base for all kinds of ideas – enjoy them simply smeared with pesto and cooked under the grill, drizzled with oil and a few herbs and baked alongside your favourite roast, or stuffed with whatever you fancy and eaten on their own. This recipe goes down well at our place.
Make a meal of it any time you have these large mushrooms at your place. Enjoy!
Serves 8 as a side or 4 as a light meal
- 8 large flat mushrooms (about 400 grams total), washed. Remove and dice stems.
- 1 tblsp butter
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 rashers lean bacon, trimmed, diced
- 1 medium tomato, seeded, diced
- 1 cup day-old sourdough or wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves picked, chopped
- ¼ cup tasty cheese, grated
- 2 tblsp parmesan cheese, grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C. Spray mushroom caps with olive oil, season with a little salt and black pepper then place on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Melt the butter in a frypan over medium heat then add onion and bacon. Cook, stirring, for 3 or 4 minutes until onion is translucent and bacon is almost done. Add crushed garlic and cook for a minute or so longer.
- Add diced tomato, mushroom stems and oregano to the pan. Continue cooking for a couple more minutes until stalks are tender and tomato is becoming soft and mushy.
- Remove from the heat. Add the breadcrumbs, tasty cheese and a good amount of black pepper to the mixture and combine well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Spoon a generous amount of mixture into the mushroom caps and sprinkle grated parmesan over the top. Bake for about 20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and stuffing is golden and crunchy around the edges.