Di’s Carrot, fennel and apple salad
A crunchy and refreshing summer salad that will accompany just about anything, especially grilled or barbecued meats and fish. The sweet taste of carrot and apple goes so well with the fennel’s aniseed flavour, and the lemony dressing with honey just tops it off!
Serves 4 as a side dish
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated coarsely
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and grated coarsely, some fronds roughly chopped and reserved
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated coarsely
- 2 spring onions, trimmed, finely sliced diagonally
- 1 heaped tblsp fennel seeds
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tblsp honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toast fennel seeds in a small pan, shaking continuously over medium heat until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Using the same pan toast walnuts until starting to brown. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, honey and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, toss prepared carrots, fennel, apple, spring onions, fennel seeds and half the toasted walnuts. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss again until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Garnish with the remaining walnuts and reserved fennel fronds. Serve immediately.