Di’s Roast pumpkin and pecan salad
A colourful salad that is just as at home at a casual barbecue or a slap-up formal celebration. With only a few ingredients the paprika-coated pumpkin and the crunchy pecans are allowed to shine through the simple dressing. Load up your plate and enjoy!
- 600g butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into small cubes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tblsps olive oil
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 200g mixed baby spinach and rocket leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tblsps extra virgin olive oil
- juice of half a lemon (about 2 tblsps)
- 1 tblsp honey
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fan-forced). Place the cubed pumpkin into a large bowl with the crushed garlic, paprika, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss well then spread the pumpkin onto a tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place the pecans in a shallow pan over medium heat and toast until starting to brown. Empty into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small jug and season to taste.
- Combine the spinach and rocket leaves, pumpkin and pecans in a large salad bowl. Drizzle the dressing over a little at a time and toss gently to coat (you may not need it all). Serve immediately.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Substitute pecans for walnuts if you prefer and add a little cayenne pepper to the paprika for more zing.