Di’s Date and coconut bites with cranberry and cacao
Oh no, not another recipe for date, coconut and cacao bites!! Most recipes seem to like the addition of sweeteners and some type of oil but this recipe needs none of those.
Sweet enough, not too chocolatey and certainly not oily, these little bites are more-ishly delicious as well as super healthy!
Add to lunch boxes, enjoy with a cuppa or snack on anytime.
Makes about 30
- 1 cup pitted dried dates
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup cacao powder (or good quality cocoa)
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut, toasted, for rolling (or 1-2 tblsps for sprinkling)
- Place dates and cranberries in a medium bowl and pour boiling water over to cover. Soak for 30 minutes until soft. Drain, reserving 1-2 tablespoons of the soaking liquid.
- Blitz all the ingredients except desiccated coconut in a food processor until the mixture is well combined. If the mixture seems too dry add a little of the reserved liquid.
- Line a lamington tin with baking paper and spread the mixture evenly with a wet knife. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Place tray in the freezer for 15 minutes before slicing into 3 cm squares.
Roll heaped teaspoons of the mixture into little bite-sized balls. Roll in toasted coconut.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge or in clip-lock bags in the freezer, if they last that long!
*Substitute dried apricots for the cranberries and any nuts and seeds you prefer instead of almonds.