Di’s Summer Saturday salad
Serves 4 as a side dish
A colourful summer salad with a mix of great flavours and textures. The buttery lettuce complements the bitter radicchio crunch while the mango brings a sweetness to it all. The goat’s cheese adds creaminess and the olives – well, what’s a salad without olives anyway?
This salad is delicious on its own but goes very well with lamb loin chops and pan-fried button mushrooms.
Enjoy on Saturday or anytime.
- 1 small green oak leaf lettuce, washed, leaves torn
- 1/2 head of radicchio, washed, leaves torn
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 small Lebanese cucumbers, quartered lengthwise, cut into small batons
- 1 large firm ripe mango, peeled, cut into bite sized slices
- 1/3 cup small mixed olives in oil, drained
- 80g soft goat’s cheese, crumbled (or feta)
- 2 tblsps lemon juice
- 2 tblsps extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl toss together all salad ingredients except goat’s cheese.
- Whisk lemon juice and olive oil in a small bowl until it thickens and becomes glossy. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over salad, add crumbled goat’s cheese and toss gently to combine.
- Substitute 2 small sweet oranges, segmented, if mangoes are not available.
- To make a meal of it for two or more add some crisp prosciutto and toasted slivered almonds.