Di’s Rice blend, roast kumara and orange salad
Serves 8-10 as a side dish
Adapted from a SunRice Mountain Blend recipe
Rice salads that combine grains of different flavours, textures and colours suddenly become a whole lot more interesting!
This salad looks great, tastes even better and will feed a crowd!
- 2 cups Mountain Blend rice (Thai brown/black/red rice combination)
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 4½ cups salt-reduced vegetable stock (or water)
- 650g kumara/sweet potato (about 2 medium), peeled, cut into small bite sized chunks
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 fresh corn cobs, husks removed, kernels sliced off
- 4 oranges, 2 with skin removed and cut into segments, 2 juiced
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped, toasted
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- ½ large bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tblsps chopped chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional – 100g baby spinach
- Optional – 100g marinated feta, crumbled (Persian or Danish)
- Rinse rice 2 or 3 times in cold water. Drain well and place in a large saucepan with the stock. Bring to the boil over high heat then cover and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook, without stirring, for 30-35 minutes before lifting the lid to check if liquid has evaporated. If necessary, continue cooking until the rice is al dente (should need only about 5 more minutes). Remove from heat and stand with lid on for a further 5 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Toss the kumara in the oil, balsamic vinegar and crushed garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Line a shallow baking dish with baking paper, arrange kumara in a single layer and bake for 15-20 minutes until tender and starting to brown. Set aside to cool.
- Lightly spray a non-stick frypan with olive oil and heat to medium-high. Add the corn kernels and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly charred and starting to pop. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large shallow serving bowl place cooked rice, kumara, corn, orange segments, nuts, spring onions, spinach (if using) and parsley. Add half the orange juice and toss gently to combine. Taste, adding more orange juice and a little olive oil if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with the marinated feta, if using, and the chopped chives just before serving.