Di’s Sweet corn, leek and vegetable soup
This is a simple delicious soup packed full of all the good things. Great as a starter, for lunch on a cold day, or a warming pick-me-up snack anytime. Add some hot crunchy bread to dip and there’s dinner!
- 1 tblsp butter or vegetable oil
- 1 small leek, washed and quartered lengthwise, sliced finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 large corn cobs, kernels sliced off (frozen kernels if you can’t find fresh)
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 100g fresh green beans, chopped finely
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 3½ cups vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp cornflour mixed to a paste with a little cold water (optional)
- 2 spring onions, sliced finely for garnish (optional)
- Heat butter or oil over low-medium heat in a large saucepan. Add leek, garlic and ginger and stir for 3-4 minutes or until leek softens.
- Add all other vegetables, except for the spring onion and allow to sweat for a few more minutes, stirring well to combine.
- Increase heat, add turmeric and vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently until vegetables are tender (about 15 minutes).
- Add salt and pepper to taste. If the soup needs thickening add the cornflour paste, stir in well and continue simmering for a minute or two longer. Ladle into deep bowls and serve with spring onions scattered on top.
* Variation: Add some shredded steamed chicken breast and a dash of soy sauce for a more substantial meal.