Di’s Chicken and chorizo with tomato and olives
Serves 4 or more
A tasty and satisfying dish to feed the hungry hordes! Great for crunchy sourdough dunking and easy to double if your pot is industrial size.
Bulk it up with extra veggies like red and green peppers or baby chat potatoes if you like, or spice it up with chilli if you need extra heat.
- 1-2 tblsps extra virgin olive oil
- 8-10 chicken drumsticks, depending on size
- 2 spicy chorizo sausages, thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 heaped tblsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tblsps tomato paste
- 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 2 tblsps fresh oregano leaves
- 11/2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 long strip lemon rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup mixed olives (or all Kalamata olives)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC, fan-forced. Heat 1 tblsp olive oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy-based pan suitable for the oven. Cook onion and garlic until soft. Remove from heat and set aside in a bowl. Add chorizo and cook until crisp then set aside with the onions.
- Heat remaining oil in the pan. Rub paprika, cayenne pepper (if using) and a little salt over the chicken, place in pan and fry, turning occasionally, until browned all over. Remove chicken from heat and set aside.
- Add the wine to the pan and deglaze. Return the cooked onions and chorizo then add tomato paste, tinned tomatoes, oregano leaves, lemon rind, olives and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well to combine, return chicken and any juices to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Transfer to preheated oven, cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is very tender and sauce has thickened, stirring once or twice (add a little more stock if necessary). Serve over pasta, rice or couscous with a squeeze of lemon juice and a side of lightly steamed green beans.