Di’s Fettuccine with shiitake mushrooms & snow peas
Shiitake mushrooms are a cut above the average – their earthy flavour and ‘meatiness’ add that something special. For a long time I was the only one in our family who loved mushrooms. All have finally been won over and this recipe is a hit with everyone. A pity though, as now I have to share…
For the vegetarian option, leave out the bacon!
- 250g gluten free fettuccine
- 1 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tblsp butter
- 2 short-cut bacon rashers, diced
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 120g Shiitake mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 80g snow peas, trimmed, cut in half
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup hot vegetable stock
- ½ cup fresh parsley and basil combined, roughly chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add a little salt to a large pot of boiling water and cook fettuccine according to packet instructions until al dente (about 10-12 minutes).
- While pasta is cooking heat olive oil and butter in a large frypan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring, until beginning to brown. Add the spring onions and garlic and continue cooking for a minute or two longer.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown a little (3-4 minutes). Add grated lemon rind, snow peas and ½ cup of vegetable stock, bring to the boil and let bubble for a minute or two until mushrooms and snow peas are tender. Stir through lemon juice, season to taste and remove from the heat.
- Drain pasta, add to the frypan with a little more stock, parmesan cheese and herbs and toss well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Garnish with extra parmesan and herbs if desired.