Di’s Leek, mushroom and bacon parcels
Leek and mushrooms are always great partners, while the goats cheese adds a little extra creaminess to these parcels. The bacon, well… everyone knows about bacon and mushrooms! Tasty and satisfying, these are great for lunch or a light dinner served with a simple salad.
- 1 sheet frozen reduced-fat puff pastry, partly thawed, cut into 4 squares
- 1 small knob butter (about 25g)
- 1 small leek, washed, halved lengthwise and finely sliced
- 2 short-cut bacon rashers, trimmed and diced
- 80g button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 tblsp dry sherry or white wine
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 1 tblsp parsley, finely chopped
- 50g soft goats cheese, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat the butter in a frypan over medium heat. Add bacon, fry for a minute or two then add the leek, mushrooms and thyme. Cook, stirring until mushrooms and leek have softened. Add the sherry or wine and continue to cook until the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from the heat, allow to cool slightly then stir in the parsley and goats cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide filling among the squares of pastry and brush edges with the beaten egg. Fold in half diagonally and seal the edges by pressing with a fork. Place the parcels on the baking tray and brush tops with egg. Bake for about 25 minutes until puffed and golden.