Di’s Freeform silverbeet and ricotta pie
Adapted from a recipe by Antony Worrall Thompson
This freeform pie is really easy to make and a very satisfying meal with a simple salad. A great way to use that huge bunch of silverbeet you picked up from the local market. Kids even love it (well mine do!) and it is good for them too. For the vegetarian option, just leave out the chorizo.
Serves 6 or more
- 1 whole bunch silverbeet, rinsed, stems removed and discarded, leaves sliced finely
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 spicy chorizo sausage, diced (optional)
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp sweet paprika (optional)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon and 1 tblsp grated rind
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped mint
- 500g ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 80g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sheets frozen puffed pastry, just thawed
- 1 egg extra, beaten
- Preheat oven to 190°C (fan forced) and line two oven trays/pizza trays with baking paper. Heat a little olive oil in a small pan and cook the chorizo (if using) until crisp. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a deep frypan or wok and cook the onion and garlic until onion softens. Add the sweet paprika and sliced silverbeet, tossing in the pan until silverbeet is just barely wilted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl combine the spinach and onion mixture, cooked chorizo (if using), parsley, mint, cheeses, 1 beaten egg, lemon juice and grated rind. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Place 1 sheet of pastry on each oven tray and divide spinach filling evenly between them, leaving a border of about 3cm all round. Roughly fold the pastry over the filling (the more rustic looking the better!) and brush with the beaten egg.
- Place the pies on 2 shelves in preheated oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Check pies halfway through cooking and swap shelves if not browning evenly. Serve with a simple green salad.