Di’s Lentil salad with tahini and orange dressing
This lentil salad with its combination of colours and flavours is healthy and delicious. As a change from the usual vinaigrette, the tahini and orange dressing adds something special.
Great as a side dish or light lunch on its own, the salad becomes a satisfying main meal when topped with marinated and fried firm tofu chunks or chargrilled halloumi, a squeeze of lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- 1 x 400g tin small brown lentils, drained and rinsed well
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely sliced
- 1 small carrot, coarsely grated
- ½ small green or red capsicum, diced
- 1 cucumber, quartered lengthways, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 60g baby spinach leaves
- 2 tblsps gluten-free tahini
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange
- 1 tblsp white wine vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place lentils, garlic, onion, carrot, capsicum, cucumber and tomatoes in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- For the dressing: In a small bowl combine tahini, orange juice, vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk well.
- Drizzle half the dressing over the salad and toss again. Set aside for a few minutes to allow the flavours to develop. Just before serving, add the spinach leaves and the remaining dressing (you may not need it all), toss gently, check seasoning and adjust if necessary.