Di’s Kumara and white bean patties
These kumara and white bean patties tick all the boxes – healthy, nutritious, vegetarian, full of flavour, quick and easy to cook, great for lunch or dinner, tasty in a burger bun, lunchbox food, kids might even eat them!
Give them a try.
- 500g kumara (orange sweet potato), chopped into small pieces
- 400g can white beans (cannellini), drained, rinsed well
- ½ cup rice, pre-cooked
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 50g halloumi cheese, grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-2 tblsps olive oil
- baby spinach leaves, to serve
- ½ cup natural Greek-style yoghurt
- 1-2 tblsp sweet chilli sauce (or to taste)
- Steam or microwave kumara on high heat for 3-4 minutes or until just tender. Drain well and place in a large bowl with the drained white beans. Mash thoroughly until smooth.
- Add cooked rice, grated zucchini, spring onion, garlic, ginger, cumin and garam masala, halloumi cheese and egg. Season with salt and crushed black pepper and mix until combined. Form the mixture into 8-10 patties, dampening hands if necessary. Roll patties in gluten-free flour or breadcrumbs if you think they are too sticky to handle.
- Heat oil to medium high in a non-stick frypan and cook patties for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- For the dressing, mix together yoghurt and sweet chilli sauce. Serve patties with baby spinach leaves, a dollop of dressing and chopped coriander leaves, or enjoy in a burger bun.