Di’s Crunchy apple and fennel salad with lemon dressing
Loads of colour and flavour in this salad! Tart juicy Granny Smith and sweet Pink Lady apples complement the fennel’s aniseed flavour while the celery and walnuts add more crunch. A lemony dressing tops it all off. Great on the side at your next barbecue or as a light lunch topped with chunks of tasty cheese.
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, skin on, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 Pink Lady apple (or similar), skin on, cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and quartered, sliced (reserve some fronds for garnish if you like)
- 2 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, trimmed sliced
- ½ cup walnut halves, roughly chopped
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon (2-3 tblsps)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsps honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large salad bowl combine all ingredients except lemon juice and rind, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper.
- Pour olive oil, lemon juice and honey into a screw top jar, add salt and pepper to taste. Put the lid on and shake well.
- Sprinkle grated lemon rind and reserved fennel fronds (if using) over the salad, add dressing a little at a time and toss well.