Di’s Bircher-style muesli
Serves 4 or more
A great way to eat your oats for breakfast!
This is not your original Maximilian Bircher-Benner type of muesli but it is the preferred variety at our place. Most of the ingredients mingle their flavours together overnight in the fridge and make the breakfast ritual quick and easy. Just the berries, seeds and yoghurt need to be added in the morning to finish off this deliciously healthy breakfast.
The fruit, juice and shredded coconut provide enough sweetness but add some honey if needed.
- 1 large or 2 smaller apples of any type (or a combination of tart and sweet)
- 3 tblsps freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1¼ cups dairy milk or substitute (almond, coconut, rice)
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries (reduced sugar)
- 1½ cups natural thick yoghurt (I like Greek style)
- 1 punnet fresh blueberries
- 1 punnet fresh strawberries, halved
- sunflower seeds
- Grate apple coarsely leaving skin on, discard core and seeds. Mix with the lemon juice in a bowl and set aside for a few minutes.
- Combine rolled oats, milk, apple juice, shredded coconut, almonds and cranberries in a large bowl, add apple and lemon juice and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Serve topped with a generous dollop of yoghurt, fresh blueberries and strawberries and a sprinkling of crunchy sunflower seeds.
- Feel free to add/substitute any fruit, nuts or seeds you fancy.