Di’s Zucchini and broccoli soup with Parmesan
Soup’s up again! Easy-to-make zucchini and broccoli soup is a great way to eat your greens without realising it. Gluten-free and vegetarian, healthy and delicious, this soup uses just one potato to make it creamy without adding any cream. Just add shaved Parmesan cheese to give it some zing.
- 2 tblsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized leek, white part only, washed and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 large or 3 small zucchinis (about 360g), halved lengthwise, chopped
- 1 medium head broccoli, trimmed, cut into florets
- 1 medium potato, peeled chopped into small chunks
- 4-5 cups vegetable (or chicken) stock, preferably homemade
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat. Add leek and cook, stirring, until softened (3-4 minutes). Add crushed garlic and rosemary sprig then continue cooking for a further minute or so until fragrant.
- Add zucchinis, broccoli and potato. Continue cooking gently while stirring until veggies are well coated. Add 4 cups of stock and increase heat to medium-high. Cover and bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until veggies are very tender. Discard rosemary sprig.
- Allow soup to cool slightly before blitzing with a stick blender or processing in batches until smooth. Return saucepan to a simmer and warm soup gently, adding more stock if necessary until it reaches desired consistency. Taste, then season with salt and pepper.
Ladle into bowls and serve with a drizzle of olive oil and cracked pepper. Top with a generous amount of freshly shaved Parmesan cheese.