Di’s Orange biscuits
Makes about 35 biscuits
These little biscuits are the perfect accompaniment to your afternoon cup of tea or coffee. With just a few ingredients they are quick to make and bake. The orange flavour makes them very more-ish, so it’s hard to stop at just one.
- 185 g unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup raw castor sugar
- 1 egg
- Finely grated rind of 1 medium orange
- 1 tblsp orange juice
- 2 cups wholemeal plain flour
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan-forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Use an electric mixer to beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the egg, orange juice and grated rind then continue to beat until combined.
- Sift the flour and baking powder over the wet ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Roll heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture into balls (flour hands lightly if necessary) and place them about 4cm apart on prepared trays. Use a fork to flatten the dough slightly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until biscuits are light golden, swapping trays halfway. Remove from the oven and allow biscuits to cool on trays.
Biscuits should keep fresh for 5 days or more in an airtight container.